The areas

Brownfield Forte Santa Tecla

Short Overview

Forte Santa Tecla stands on one of the hills of San Fruttuoso (180 a.s.l.) which dominates San Martino, where in ancient times the church of Santa Tecla stood. The church, from which the fort takes its name, has been known since 1100.

The construction of the forts on the eastern hills of Genoa was decided in 1747, when following the Austrian siege of Genoa, in the context of the Austrian succession war, the need emerged to fortify the ridge between the Bisagno Valley and the Sturla Valley.  It was started at the end of the same year, but work continued slowly, with various changes to the initial project. In 1751 only the perimeter walls had been completed.

During the nineteenth century it was one of the buttresses defending the eastern sector of the city. Other strengthening works were undertaken which determined its definitive architectural structure in 1833: in 1814 the two northern half-bastions were raised, placed at the entrance of the Savoy coat of arms and in 1830 the terrace roof of the internal barracks was transformed into a pitched roof, generating another usable floor.

Having lost all strategic importance towards the end of the 19th century, it was used occasionally by military departments and adapted to a judicial prison until the first half of the 20th century; then definitively abandoned by the military state property, it was transformed into a private home until the 1970s.

In 1982 the works of the first restoration began as the site was considered an ideal location for cultural initiatives in the San Fruttuoso district. However, completed the restoration, while waiting for an unplanned destination, the structure remained closed and unattended, suffering vandalism that thwarted its recovery (burnt roof and defaced interior). Since 1996 a new restoration has started thanks to the active and decisive participation of Associvile (voluntary association linked to Civil Protection), which still ensures the safekeeping and maintenance of the structure.

The fort, with a triangular plan and bastion on the vertices, is a typical example of military architecture of the eighteen century: one of the few left intact on the Ligurian coast. The barracks are divided into three floors, on the ground floor there were the kitchens, the petty officer's offices and the guardhouse. Upstairs there were the lodgings for the graduates and a passage to the southern walls and ramparts used as warehouses. Finally, the third floor was used as accommodation for the troops, from which you can access the roof of one of the two bastions facing north, from where you descend towards the courtyard used as Piazza d'Armi.

Recently acquired by the Municipality, the fort is part of the "enhancement of the heritage of the seventeenth-century defensive system and external fortifications of Genoa": aimed at the recovery of public sites located along the historical-religious routes, to revive the culture of the area .

1324

Gross Floor Area GFA

1

Number of buildings

Area details
Property: Public
Gross Floor Area GFA: 1324 m²
Province: Genova
Municipality: Genova
Address: Salita Superiore di Santa Tecla, Genova
Last use: Civil Protection headquarters
Occupation: Free
Buildings
Number of present buildings: 1
Building year: 1747
Total levels: 3
Condition: Sufficient
Cultural requirements: Yes
Statistical data of the municipality of Genova

Address

Regione Liguria
Rappresentative Office: piazza De Ferrari 1
Registered Office: via Fieschi 15
16121 Genova

Contacts

Call Center +39 010 548.51
Fax +39 010 548.8742
Hot line 800 445 445 (from monday to friday  9 am - 1 pm and 14 - 16 pm)

 

Privacy

Accessibility Statement

 

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics