The areas

Brownfield Forte Puὶn

Short Overview

Forte Puìn is the first of the forts outside the Walls heading north, after leaving Forte Sperone which, in the past, represented the northern limit of the wall to protect the city of Genoa. The name of the fort derives from the eighteenth-century "Baracca di Puin", located below, more or less where today we find the Ostaja de Baracche restaurant, "delle baracche”.

The construction of Forte Puìn was conceived in 1815 by the Royal Corps of Engineers with the aim of filling the void in the ridge between Forte Sperone and Forte Diamante. 

The works began with the construction of the central tower, while three years later the creation of the protective wall began and it was completed in 1828. The works ended in 1830 and, in the mid-1800s, the building had two eight-inch field guns, two long howitzers, two stone cannons and four small cannons. The fort was then abandoned in the last decade of the 19th century and "removed" from the military lists of 1908. After a long period of abandonment, in 1963 it was requested in concession by Mr. Fausto Parodi who, after having restored it at his own expense, lived there for about twenty years.

Today the fort, after the interventions of the 60s and the improvements by the Municipality of Genoa, is in good condition but it cannot be visited at the moment.

The complex consists of a central tower with a two-storey rectangular plan with three small underground warehouses accessible by a staircase. Access to the interior was possible by passing a drawbridge which allowed the passage beyond the protective moat. Through a short staircase you enter the tower, where on the ground floor there are two rooms with kitchenette and the service staircase which, in addition to leading to the underground warehouses, leads to the second floor originally composed of two rooms.

The restoration of the 1960s produced some modifications which resulted in the raising of a partition to create two rooms in the northern compartment, the placement of new grates in place of the original ones removed over the years and the construction of the toilets.

Access to the roof of the tower is possible via a steep staircase that leads to the terrace, slightly sloping to facilitate the evacuation of rainwater towards a canal that fed the water cistern. The drains are currently equipped with railings thanks to the intervention of the Municipality of Genoa, as well as the original brick floor, tiled in the 60s and subsequently renovated.

402

Gross Floor Area GFA

1

Number of buildings

Area details
Property: Public
Gross Floor Area GFA: 402 m²
Province: Genova
Municipality: Genova
Address: Via delle Baracche, Genova
Occupation: Free
Buildings
Number of present buildings: 1
Building year: 1815
Restructuration year: 1960
Total levels: 3
Condition: Inadequate
Cultural requirements: Yes
Statistical data of the municipality of Genova

Address

Regione Liguria
Rappresentative Office: piazza De Ferrari 1
Registered Office: via Fieschi 15
16121 Genova

Contacts

Call Center +39 010 548.51
Fax +39 010 548.8742
Hot line 800 445 445 (from monday to friday  9 am - 1 pm and 14 - 16 pm)

Privacy

 

HTML5 Powered with CSS3 / Styling, Device Access, Multimedia, Performance & Integration, and Semantics